Recipe: An Indian Summer
This delicious Indian chickpea salad is perfect for these long summer days. It’s light, fresh feel makes it perfect as a side or even a light snack.
Bini’s Channa Chaat
200g cooked canned chickpeas drained
400-500g potatoes (Roosters or any waxy potato)
3- 4 tbsp. rapeseed oil
30g fresh ginger
3 cloves fresh Garlic
1 or 2 fresh finger chillies ( to your preference)
10 ml lemon juice (or to taste)
2-3 medium Fresh tomatoes chopped
1 small Red onion finely chopped
¼ tsp Salt (or to taste)
¼ – ½ tsp Turmeric
1 tsp Coriander and cumin powder (heaped)
A Pinch chilli powder
2 tsp whole cumin seeds
1. Boil the potatoes in their skins, until they are cooked, allow to cool and cut them into 1cm
2. Drain the chickpeas and set aside.
3. Peel and chop the ginger and garlic. Remove the stalk on the chilies and chopped finely. Blitz
in a food processor until a paste is formed. Set aside.
4. Oil frying pan and add cumin seeds
5. Next add the ginger, garlic and chilli paste allow to brown, then the potatoes, chickpeas, stir
6. Add the dry spices, turmeric, coriander and cumin, lemon juice and salt.
Serve into a large bowl, garnish with fresh coriander, chopped tomatoes, red onion, tamarind
chutney and yoghurt chutney
Serve warm or cold –great sharing dish for a family
By Bini Ludlow