Recipe: Channa Chaat
200g cooked canned chickpeas drained
400-500g potatoes (Roosters or any waxy potato)
3- 4 tbsp. rapeseed oil
30g fresh ginger
3 cloves fresh Garlic
1 or 2 fresh finger chillies ( to your preference)
10 ml lemon juice (or to taste)
2-3 medium Fresh tomatoes chopped
1 small Red onion finely chopped
¼ tsp Salt (or to taste)
¼ – ½ tsp Turmeric
1 tsp Coriander and cumin powder (heaped)
A Pinch chilli powder
2 tsp whole cumin seeds
- Boil the potatoes in their skins, until they are cooked, allow to cool and cut them into 1cm cubes
- Drain the chickpeas and set aside.
- Peel and chop the ginger and garlic. Remove the stalk on the chilies and chopped finely. Blitz in a food processor until a paste is formed. Set aside.
- Oil frying pan and add cumin seeds
- Next add the ginger, garlic and chilli paste allow to brown, then the potatoes, chickpeas, stir
- Add the dry spices, turmeric, coriander and cumin, lemon juice and salt.
Serve into a large bowl, garnish with fresh coriander, chopped tomatoes, red onion, tamarind chutney and yoghurt chutney.
Serve warm or cold.
By Bini Ludlow