Chinese Tempeh Lettuce Wraps with Spicy Peanut Sauce
Preparation time: 15-20min
Cooking time: 7min
- Lettuce Wraps
- 600g Tempeh (Minced)
- 1 Large Carrot (Finely Diced)
- 4 Garlic Cloves (Finely Sliced)
- 4 Pinches Fine Sea Salt
- 3 Tbls Tamari
- 4 Inch Piece of Root Ginger (Grated and squeezed)
- 50ml-70ml Water
- 1 Large Iceberg Lettuce Head
- Organic Sesame Oil
- 250g Sugar-Free Smooth Peanut Butter
- 4 Tbls Brown Rice Vinegar
- 5 Tbls Brown Rice Syrup or Maple Syrup
- 2 Pinches Cayenne
- ½ Orange Juiced
- 2 Cloves Garlic (crushed)
- 250ml Hot Water
- 4 Tbls Shoyu (Tamari if you need gluten free)
- Heat up sesame oil in a frying pan and add the garlic and carrots with a pinch of fine sea salt. Stir frequently and let the veg cook on a medium heat for a few minutes as they soften.
- Add the tempeh to a food processor and pulse 2-3 times so that it becomes a mince. If you do not have a food processor you can finely cut the tempeh with a knife and then break it apart into small bits between your fingers.
- Add the mince to the frying pan and add 3 more pinches of sea salt and mix and stir frequently for another 5-7min.
- Add the water to let it steam and keep folding it all in the pan.
- Grate your ginger and squeeze out the juice onto the tempeh and add the tamari and mix in really well for another 3-5minutes.
- Take off the heat and leave aside.
- For the sauce add all the ingredients to a blender or food processor (you can use a hand blender) and blend till creamy.
- To serve: Pull of individual lettuce leaves, serve a few spoonfulls of tempeh mince in each leaf, add raw carrot, spring onion, fresh mint leaves and coriander and sprinkle a few sesame seeds.
- To eat: Wrap everything inside the lettuce leaf and dip in the sauce and enjoy the utter deliciousness!
By Nicky Clinch
Subscribe to Waffle