Recipe: Mixed Seeded Crackers
For maximum nutritional benefit these are best dehydrated if you have a dehydrator. But they are just as tasty baked in the oven until crisp. Use shelled hemp seeds which have a softer texture. I like to add flaked nori flakes to the mixture for additional flavour.
Makes 16 crackers
150g / 1 cup whole flaxseed
60g shelled hemp seeds
60g ground almonds
2 tomatoes, chopped
½ tsp sea salt or garlic salt
4 sundried tomatoes
Juice of ½ lemon
1tbsp nutritional yeast flakes optional
1tbsp nori flakes or sea vegetable flakes
- Preheat the oven to 170C, gas mark 3.
- Line a baking tray with baking parchment
- Place all the ingredients in a food processor with around 2tbsp water and process until the mixture starts to come together. Scrape down the sides to make sure all the seeds are blended.
- Spread the mixture onto the baking tray and using a spatula or damp hands spread the mixture to form a rectangle about 1cm thick.
- With the back of a blunt knife mark the rectangle into even crackers
- Bake for 30 minutes until the mixture begins to turn golden. Remove from the oven and gently flip the whole sheet over back onto the tray.
- Return to the oven and bake for a further 20 minutes until crisp.
- Remove from the oven and cool on a wire rack.
- Store in an airtight container. These will keep for around 1-2 weeks
Recipe by Christine Bailey