Recipe: Herby Golden Turkey and Cranberry Sausage Rolls
Makes 10 large or 20 small sausage rolls
375g pack of ready rolled puff pastry
Plain flour, for dusting
1 small onion, peeled and diced
300g leftover Golden turkey meat, cut into 1cm dice
200g sausage meat or leftover stuffing8 fresh sage leaves, finely chopped
75g cranberry sauce (drained of any liquid)
1/8th tsp ground nutmeg
Sea salt and black pepper
1 medium egg, lightly beaten
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas 6. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Unroll the pastry, place on a lightly floured work surface and cut in half lengthways.
- Melt the butter in a small frying pan; add the onion and fry until soft. Cool slightly.
- Place the turkey and sausage meat (or stuffing) in a bowl. Add the cooled onion, sage, cranberry sauce, nutmeg, a pinch of salt and a good grinding of black pepper. Mix together with a wooden spoon or your hands until well combined.
- Shape the mixture into two long sausages the same length as the sheets of pastry. Lay one sausage down the centre of each piece of pastry. Brush the edges with some of the beaten egg then fold the pastry over the filling, and press the edges together firmly. Mark the edge of the pastry with the tines of a fork; this makes sure the sausage rolls are well sealed. Neatly cut, using a sharp knife, into even sized portions of 5cm in length for larger rolls or 2.5cm lengths for smaller rolls.
- Place the sausage rolls on the prepared trays and brush with the remaining beaten egg. Bake in the oven for approximately 15 minutes until puffed up and deliciously browned.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for a few minutes. Serve immediately.
Per small sausage roll (based on making 20)
By Rachel Green and Golden Turkeys